Having traveled more the past couple years I can tell you that I love being in the Mid-West as
it gives me great opportunity to travel North, South, East, and West and cover a lot of diverse areas. And the beauty of my travel? I can return home to quiet.
So I've been thinking. Here are my top five reasons as to why you should call North Iowa home:
- North Iowa is home to several great parks. East Park in Mason City, in particular, is clean, family friendly and offers a nice variety of activities. From fishing to the Cannonball 457, East Park makes for a great family day. Just a year ago, my parents hosted a family reunion in East Park and several attendees from out of state commented how blessed Mason City was to have such a nice park.
- The architecture is very cool! I do realize that for some people cool architecture is not their thing. Let me tell you, Mason City is lucky to have the Frank Lloyd Properties all around town. The Park Inn Hotel is the last known hotel that is still standing in the world that was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. That is a pretty cool fact!
- Buddy Holly brings a lot of smiles to North Iowa. A visit to the legendary Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake with a visit to the Buddy Holly crash site will provide music and memories. The SurfBallroom has a lot of concerts throughout the year, and if you are lucky you will get to see a current musical artist perform in this legendary setting.
- Wide open spaces. Yes, we have a lot of wide open spaces in North Iowa that are not concrete jungles. Think about it! North Iowa is blessed to have many lush corn and soybean fields for six months out of the year. And once harvest rolls around, here in North Iowa we are very appreciative of our farmers and the work that they do to feed our world.
- North Iowa is also home to "Pilot Knob" State Park near Forest City. This is the second highest point in Iowa which offers hiking trails, fishing, horse riding trails, picnic areas, birding, camping and tons of other outdoor activities.
|Photo Courtesy of Mary Hopper of Natural Plus Nursery|
Clear Lake, Iowa
And you know what, this list could go on and on. There's really no reason to plan to travel out of state for a 4th of July Celebration, as Clear Lake, Iowa is home to one of the top 4th of July Celebrations across the whole United States!
I will admit it, selling North Iowa to a youngster in today's world can be tough. On the bright side, North Iowa is located 1/2 ways between Des Moines and Minneapolis with a 2 hour drive either way. For those wanting the more city like experiences, it's a short drive.
North Iowa is my home and will continue to be. My life is not hopping with lots of concrete, a lot of stop lights, or high rise hotels on a day to day basis. It's nice to explore other areas of the country and return to my peaceful road in rural America. After All, It's All In a Mom's Day, Right?