- Go Fishing! Fishing licenses are not required for kids under the age of 16. Free Fishing Days in Iowa are June 5-7, 2015, which is for everyone. Parents will want to purchase a fishing license, as parents can be fined (when free fishing days are not held) for putting a worm on a child's hook. You can purchase fishing licenses at many local sporting good stores or online.
- Camp in your backyard. Why not? Kids love to camp, so why not invest in a tent that you can use in your backyard, as well as family camping trips?
- Hike on a trail in a county park or a state park. Rockford Fossil Prairie and Preserve in Rockford, Iowa offers family fun all day long while hunting for fossils.
- Host a neighborhood cookout. Invite neighbors to your home for a cookout. Everyone bring their choice of meat and a dish to share. Make sure your grill has lp and/or charcoal ready to go!
- Libraries all across North Iowa and the U.S. offer family summer friendly reading programs. When is the last time you and your family set foot in the children's room of your public library?
- Still stumped? Check out Val's Family Summer 2015 Bucket List of Corn, Beans, Pigs and Kids!
In my opinion, there is no reason that any child should be running the streets during the summer months. Communities all across the nation and North Iowa offer opportunities to keep kids busy. When all else fails, why not spend time as a family playing a board game or maybe even breaking out a family movie that has not been viewed for a few months?
Summer activities do not have to be expensive. Let's face it. Kids want attention and they will remember the times you spent with them at the local swimming pool, coaching their t-ball team and even the time you helped them pitch a tent in the backyard.
If you ask our 24 and 20 year old sons they will tell you that they remember all of the days I spent with them at the local swimming pool and all the bicycle rides we went on. I never "dumped" them off at the pool and you know what, they remember that. They met new friends at the pool and you know what? I also met new friends.
So, tell me..... How will you keep your kids busy this summer? After All, It's All In a Mom's Day, Right?